Thursday, September 15, 2011

Latest Obsession: Antique Furniture

My latest obsession started early this summer when my mom and I discovered an antique sewing machine table in my basement. We decided to paint it and distress it just for the fun of it. 
This is the table before we painted it. The sewing machine was long ago removed because it made the table so heavy.
After a lot of sanding and painting this is what we ended up with!

After that first piece I was hooked. I now have a basement full of antiques that are just waiting for me to find the time to do something with them. I add to the pile every week because I am now obsessed (thanks to my friend Naomi) with yard sales and estate sales. So many people are just concerned with emptying their basement and not with how wonderful that old antique is. Here are a few more pieces I've collected and restored..
This is actually not an antique. Its a small dresser I bought for $4 at a yard sale and made to look like one. Not one of my favorites but still cute.

Old chair we found in the basement. We just reupholstered it and its instantly a stunning addition to my living room!

This is an old frame we found. We painted it white and distressed it. Added some fabric to give it a fun look.

This is a frame I bought on clearance at hobby lobby. Not an antique but it is ornate and beautiful. I was originally black.

Old window I bought at a yard sale for $2. Gift for my mom and dads 26th anniversary.

This is a Drexel Heritage dresser that I saw advertised in the newspaper at an estate sale in Cleveland. I woke up at 6:30 am to get there first! This is definitely my favorite piece I have done.

After.. Don't you just love it! ?
I made it into a "China Cabinet" for my kitchen.

Vintage 1940's Vanity I got from my friend Rachel's amazing yard sale!

I sanded it, painted it and bought new knobs (the bottom ones are the originals).

Antique Hutch (another treasure from Rachel's yard sale)

I saw a piece of furniture in a design magazine that was lime green and just loved it. It looks so pretty next to my brown walls in the hallway. Let me just say that Patrick (hubby) hates this color. But I don't care! ;)
The window is a $2 find at a yard sale. The scripture reads "Delight yourself in the lord and he will give you the desires of your heart" Psalms 37:4.
Old window.. I may have a small obsession with windows.. 
Antique chifferobe that I added glass knobs to and converted into a DVD cabinet. Not very satisfied with it so it may be changing soon. 
This was not an antique. It was a coffee table from target that I didn't want anymore. My mom scooped it up and painted it. Then she asked me to make a few artistic changes to it. :) 

Another great yard sale find. Originally this was plain wood, it had been painted mint green.. 

I Painted it white, distressed it, drilled holes in the back for the wires, took the top drawer out and made it into a one of a kind shabby chic TV stand!

At this point my house is just about full yet I still keep buying. Its amazing what you can do with a piece of furniture nobody wanted anymore. I may start to sell things if I run out of room. 

Hope you enjoyed!! 


                                                                         -Amberly



Pin It

1 comment:

Kate Warner said...

I love all of these! I painted the top of that side table I got at the yard sale we went to. It looks great!