Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cheesy Black-Eyed Pea Chicken Chili

Tonight I decided to try something new for dinner. A friend of mine gave me a new recipe and I have been dying to try it all week! When I got off work I went straight to the grocery store and got everything I needed. I ended up buying too many spices ( I couldn't remember what I did and did not have so I just bought everything) so I over bought by about $10. I bought enough to double the recipe and the total was $32.
All the ingredients together. (I'm a big fan of the off brand!)
Cheesy Black-Eyed Pea Chicken Chili
  • 3 Tbs. Canola Oil
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
    1 Tbs. Paula’s House Seasoning (salt, pepper, and garlic powder)
    2 c. chopped white onion
    1 c. chopped red bell pepper
    1 Tbs, minced garlic
    1 (15 oz) can seasoned black eyed peas
    1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
    1 c. water
    1 (1.25 oz) pk. White chicken chili seasoning
    1 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
    1 (8 oz) pk. Velveeta cheese, cubed

    Once you bring everything to a boil don't forget to simmer and cover!

    Lg. Dutch Oven, heat oil over med-high. Sprinkle chicken with house seasoning. Add to dutch oven, and cook 10 min. (browned) Add onion and red bell pepper, cook 7 min. Add garlic, cook 2 min. Stir in black-eyed peas, diced tomatoes, water, white chicken chili seasoning, chili powder, cumin, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, simmer 20 min. Add Velveeta and stir til melted. Remove from heat.

    Garnish with sour cream mix: 2 c. sour cream, ½ c. chopped green onion, and 1 tsp. paprika. Stir together and put on top of each bowl, if desired.

    Voila!

    The recipe serves 4 but if you want left overs just double it!

Pin It

No comments: